Exploring Deducing `this` (and what else I learned at CppCon 2022) with Richard Powell @ JFrog Sunnyvale

Join us in-person for the Bay Area C++ Meetup at the JFrog Sunnyvale office!

October 7, 2022

< 1 min read

RSVP Here: https://www.meetup.com/cpp-bay-area/events/288716723/

Exploring Deducing `this` (and what else I learned at CppCon 2022) with Richard Powell

I recently attended CppCon 2022 in Aurora, Colorado. There were many amazing talks about a wide variety of subjects, but one topic that really stuck with me was the addition of “explicit object parameters” (aka deducing `this`) in C++23. This talk will be a quick trip report about the proceedings of the conference, and then followed by a deep dive on explicit object parameters. We will cover the basics of non-static member functions type deduction rules, R-Values and L-Values, cv-qualifiers so to help explain how this is going to change the way we can program in C++.

About Richard Powell
Richard Powell started using C++ 10 years ago to write a psychoacoustic audio encoder/decoder and have continued to explore how to make Software that unlocks the potential of hardware to bring amazing applications to life. He enjoy teaching and learning about C++ and programming, and have presented several talks at CppCon and the local Bay area C++ user groups.