Reactive Stack and Cloud Native Java @Bangalore JUG Meetup hosted at JFrog

Hosted in-person at the JFrog Bangalore office!

September 27, 2022

< 1 min read

Talk #1: Build web using Reactive Stack – Spring WebFlux by Gyana Ranjan Panigrahi, JFrog

Gyana Ranjan Panigrahi is an experienced Software Engineer with JFrog with over 10 years of professional experience. His expansive hands-on technical expertise includes Web Technologies, Java, Docker, Spring Framework, BigData (Hadoop, HDFS, Yarn, Spark) Elasticsearch & Kafka. With these technologies he has worked on a diverse set of projects including: large distributed systems data storage, query optimization, JVM performance optimization, Kafka Streams implementation and Security. When Gyana is not developing applications he loves to play and watch cricket.

Talk #2: Modernise and Transform Java Applications for Cloud by Jayshree, Oracle

Come to hear about, what features, tools and farmework Java and its supporting eco-system has to offer for you that can aid you in get started on your application’s modernising journey. Check out where making your Java application container-aware is more profitable. We shall also see a quick demo on one of these cloud-native java framework- Quarkus.

Speakers

Gyana Ranjan Panigrahi

Senior Software Engineer

Gyana Ranjan Panigrahi is an experienced Software Engineer with JFrog with over 10 years of professional experience. His expansive hands-on technical expertise includes Web Technologies, Java, Docker, Spring Framework, BigData (Hadoop, HDFS, Yarn, Spark) Elasticsearch & Kafka. With these technologies he has worked on a diverse set of projects including: large distributed systems data storage, query optimization, JVM performance optimization, Kafka Streams implementation and Security. When Gyana is not developing applications he loves to play and watch cricket.

Video Transcript

00:03:04
How is the traffic today?
IN – TrainingRoom(YallaDevops)
00:03:08
Manageable out of shot at a booth?
00:03:11
Not bad right at at least yesterday, when I was coming back to market. It was like manageable, and I probably the people are getting into more holiday season or holidays. Anyways. Um welcome to J. Frog, and my name is diplom, and I take care of marketing for uh J. Twelve, and we are really happy to have you here at at this Meet up.
00:03:36
Uh we really don’t want to bore you with uh jfog insights. And what do we do But have you done any uh research like, Okay, You are going to J for office. Uh what do they do? What kind of uh, you know uh work which uh defog is doing in in the industry, any any idea, any thoughts feel that to share
00:03:59
artifactory storage,
00:04:02
binary distribution. Okay, anything else?
00:04:06
Have you done any research more than like these names? Are the battery and all? No right?
00:04:13
Well, it’s okay, absolutely tight, because uh, when it comes to, you know the devops uh go. These names are very common, but when it comes to, you know, implementation of those, then you will actually be using those, or, you know, leveraging some of those concepts. Otherwise, yeah, as long as you know, the
00:04:32
maybe the binary management and those kind of concept. It’s okay. It’s It’s more than enough to to be, You know, part of the talk and be our guest. So thank you for coming here. Ah, just to give you a little context that I do we, too. So when it comes to the devops you
00:05:05
it gives you a binary, so the binding could be in any format. So if it is a windows, then you get something like a dl, or exceeds et cetera
00:05:12
is android, or Mac, or something. Then you get some other primaries the moment you have the binaries they help you. We help you, you know. Do all kind of a compliance and security verifications, et cetera. So that’s what we do. So we pretty much take care of ten to ten binary journey,
00:05:31
and we help you manage the entire lifecycle of your. You know the development process. So that’s what we do. We have a pretty decent set of, you know office here, so as of now, we we host under one hundred and fifty plus employees,
00:05:49
and we take care of supports. R and D. And sales and marketing folks are here, and then operations. So that’s what we are in J for India. We are
00:06:11
Yeah. So twenty twenty-four odd countries where we exist, and that one thousand three hundred plus employees what we have. So that’s about J. Fog any questions before i’ll hand over the mic to my colleague here.
Unknown Speaker
00:06:30
Very much. So let me invite Ghana.
00:06:33
He is the first speaker today, and he is going to walk you through the uh. You know how he is talking about building the dots, and uh, what are the journeys behind that? Uh, do leverage this opportunity, Ask questions as much as you can, and uh will be happy to take any questions. And
00:06:53
yeah, we’ll leverage this opportunity. And hopefully, the the organizers will also come. And then we can have more interactions, more engagement.
00:07:03
Yeah. Over to you. Yep,
00:07:15
Hey, guys, Can you hear me?
00:07:17
Ah, very good evening, everyone. Okay. Thank you. So my name is Gianna. I joined the of the one and a half year of okay. Prior to this, I work for abroad from around seven and a half years, so I have overall around ten plus of your experience in Do Java distributed system.
00:07:46
I can skull as well.
00:07:47
So today. Okay, we do not talk about Okay, The how do we build the web application, using
00:07:55
whatever I mean, we generally typically, when we write any program or any of the architecture. Tudor in wild. Okay, we use the Mbc. But it’s a very pretty simple pattern, right? So what do we mean by Mbc. Person, which is nothing more? Diger? You have a model. You are a new one. You are the Controller. So what does? What do we mean by a Mbc. That setting? So how does it interact? How does it address? What is the type of mechanism that we have? And how does it different from swing web plug?
00:08:23
So basically okay, i’ll talk about before we put starting this
00:08:31
I am not able to.
Unknown Speaker
00:08:36
It’s:
Unknown Speaker
00:08:37
okay.
00:08:39
Oh,
00:08:53
so when you talk about the Mbc. It is all about Okay. Whenever you have a request. Okay, the server is going to create a thread for you to process that thread right that that up to the Dv. Get the response back and send the response back to. That.
00:09:06
That’s how we typically embassy that and work right now. How do we differentiate between a blocking and non-locking means? Okay, whenever I request time it will be greater.
00:09:16
It will switch, and they either do the Dv. Okay, Then get the response back and send the response back to the question. They are going to be blocked. Isn’t it right? So non blogging means okay. So you have as a test thread. Okay. So whenever a request from or you have multiple press. Let us assume that you have five threads, which is requesting for another to be uh get from some of the data, maybe from the Dv. Or maybe from somewhere else where you enter the Tv.
00:09:46
Okay. So what happens in that case is that okay? You have a
00:10:28
onwards, Okay? And we J. And and that I don’t work, and it got introduced in webflops in spring in the Five Point zero version. Okay, Now, when does it start that? How does this where blocks generally started?
00:11:58
Yeah, basically the concepts that are from October you might be knowing some of the design patterns of the Java right? It’s not that from up there a button basically you have access to that. So it basically observes,
00:12:27
I mean, we’ve been modeling our background, even if we’re all observable that us to now. But really, is that? Okay? Now let us start at all. Okay, how do we write?
00:12:39
Now? You have a Don’t start from.
00:13:49
Okay. So these are the fixed set number of trade pools which is being available.
00:14:10
So basically your thread will be assigned from that thread. Okay, then, the event. Okay, it will send the response back along with this event loop
00:14:19
for the call back, which is being requested. Basically the call that we have all of your informers and whatever you have been requested.
00:14:26
Now, why do we need okay, react to programming
Unknown Speaker
00:15:30
it’s.
00:15:31
Now, I have already talked about this. So let’s talk about. What do you mean by
Unknown Speaker
00:15:53
after the story?
00:15:55
Now let’s talk about Kafka a little bit later. Okay, because Kafka has
00:16:17
No, that is sorry. Sorry. Come again.
Unknown Speaker
00:16:21
I’ll tell you
00:16:42
exactly.
Unknown Speaker
00:17:04
Conquerors?
00:17:08
No,
Unknown Speaker
00:17:14
the credits are implemented at the
00:17:20
exactly.
Unknown Speaker
00:17:22
He is not a to this time.
00:17:24
No, no, no, it’s just it
00:17:32
correct. There is no possibility of messaging system, because it’s all all that it’s always talks about your client. That’s hard for many person, Right?
00:17:52
I don’t know actually how much your subscriber is, how many of you are going to consume it. The second place is that you have to limit your number of data that you are producing to a subscriber other than zoomar, right? The third class is okay. You just cancel those many data Where? Okay, how many subscribers? And then you just cancel those many data Where? Okay, how many subscribers and Benjamin are diving that attention. This is what uh support you are. Purpose publishing ten K. Events per second,
00:18:15
and consumer can only consume seven point five, K. Per second. What will happen that people will look five hundred of that? We’re going to lose that. Either we are going to lose that we are going to cancel it, or your system is going to fail. Right? Okay, if you keep producing ten thousand of that half every second. Right?
00:18:34
How? Basically this is where your web flux comes into picture.
00:18:49
Okay, now. So this is basically
00:19:30
So before before we’ll start. I can just explain you.
00:19:54
You need a
Unknown Speaker
00:20:12
Ah,
00:20:14
you see about request, Router. Now, when you declare so if I go about request, router. So this is your first class. There is no I mean, nobody is using it. Basically This is your starting point of your flux.
00:21:17
Okay, which accept a request handler. Now, okay, you have a router. Now you’re gonna hit that
00:21:34
request and left. Okay. And
00:21:37
this is your handler
00:22:05
humidity and the temperature. I am. All this is data. So this is basically an error of what I’m going to do is that every seconds i’m going to produce this,
00:23:35
from which is basically a producer. This acts as a producer. Basically, I need to generate it. How do I? How do I come from stream? Okay, There is a method called instinct which will basically generate the set of records.
00:23:52
Okay, So this is basically a weather event which I talked about, which is the model model stores you are weather which has temperature,
00:24:20
so what does it do is that it means that the humidity it will get. So it will wait. So, as you are getting the temperature,
00:24:28
so it will wait for the to be produced. It will wait for the humidity to be produced. It will wait for the winds to be produced, and it’s work all time. It will capture, and it will combine all this, and you will return it. Basically This Jip method, which is nothing but the event. So I am going to produce an event with all this set of data. Okay, So that is basically your producer.
00:24:51
Now, when I run this application. So if I run this generally I should be able to produce it right
00:25:04
now.
00:25:05
Okay, Sorry I have started declined application. Let me start.
Unknown Speaker
00:25:10
It’s a peaks
00:25:34
consume it. So you just need to. So
00:26:04
it is very soon your temperature humid equivalent. Now you have a substitute subscriber, so I didn’t write anything, it just you just expose me this.
00:26:19
Okay, which is basically producing this. And this guy is consuming it. This is Basically, my client.
00:26:46
So the producer is producing. So you need a country one which will basically
00:27:07
basically
00:27:10
I will. Just
00:27:25
so. Now i’ll stop this client.
00:27:28
Okay, you still are producing it. I’m just stopping decline. Now, when I run my program client program. Ideally, the clients would be able to subscribe those data right? So how do we do that. So basically you
00:27:39
spring Webblocks provide web client.
Unknown Speaker
00:27:43
Okay,
00:27:43
in there. It was a restway plan which had been changed with whether there was an offspring which is providing a web plan which is especially for easier, that flux. Okay, So how web client that correct? So basically, okay, this is going on this. And so if you look at the about the minus application which started on,
00:28:08
you can maybe you can expose this in and the property sign, and you can do it, for now I are already so. So whenever this application comes, okay, I mean this client application which is listening to this local or server. So here at the Url: Okay, what is the new Url? So in that problem you are, I open.
00:28:26
If you talk about it, this is basically my Uri. Right? So you are. You are going to get those Uri to get the data right? So this is Dot. You are right now. You need to retrieve that up now, ready to the flux. Okay, now, so your subscribe, but also your publisher, is writing this set of data right?
00:28:48
So you need a subset one which can listen to. So you need a model again in that client.
00:30:32
That is, one is, you are all next.
00:30:35
Okay, another major on subscribe.
00:30:39
This is your in case of terror in case of complete.
00:30:44
So I want my subscriber
00:30:46
to make only two set of encompass, and I every second you want. I want only two event has to be produced. How do I do that? Basically, So you just made Okay. So let me. So this is gone right now. Right? Okay, this. So this subscribe. I’m: just
00:31:05
commenting it.
00:31:07
And now
00:31:16
So here, what I did. Okay,
00:31:18
on subscribe.
00:31:20
I have a request for you.
00:32:08
Okay, let me restart it again.
00:32:22
Yes, because it works on a Http. Tcp. Mechanism. There is a new
00:32:39
where you can do that. We are Bar. I mean that’s in the subscribe where we have a method. Basically, whenever there is a change in the event, there is a new event out that you can listen with us. But instead of controlling how many requests that you want.
00:33:12
So basically, if you look at this,
00:33:14
Okay,
00:33:15
so on subscribe, I’m. Requesting to of emissions for every seconds, which is on next. Okay, I have consumed my data.
00:33:25
And here, so basically to every every I’m requesting to emissions from the producer, it is producing only two.
00:33:43
No, ah, not exactly okay. You can still embed your star client into this. Okay, It’s not just for W. And it’s a concurrent model. Right? Okay, Your request that doesn’t have to be okay for the request, I mean for the the container, or which is basically where you’re at ten here, but the project reactor, which is basically a library. It provides a library.
00:34:12
Okay, this this is not just only for I have just taken an example to maybe okay, but you can still use. Ah,
00:34:35
it is just a parallel. It is just a parallel.
00:34:54
Well, it’s common. It’s just an umbrella that’s on each other. It’s a common approach. You can still use a messaging system where where a producer can
00:35:04
in Webb, so it is separate, but it has. It’s more than it has its clock. So you don’t need to create a thread application, or they’re just producing it. It has out of the box or solution which has been there.
00:35:28
Sorry.
00:35:31
Okay. When I do that library. Okay, there is something for okay. I mean, I I forward it to the name. Okay, it’s still expressed. You have all the added language. It doesn’t mean that you are not the farming client has to be only in your Java.
00:35:56
You don’t know you. You have just web client of which is, which is embedded in spring, right? So you need to write your own client. Okay, which is, basically.
00:36:04
Listen to this
00:36:06
right, so you can still write in Javascript. It doesn’t hold you to write your account application only in Java.
00:36:19
Now, one more interesting part here is that it has,
00:36:44
and this client can still listen it. Okay, There are a lot of Api’s available. You can still write only the client Board program. Okay, where you want to to listen any messaging system
00:36:55
just like your
Unknown Speaker
00:37:09
okay.
00:37:10
For now, Okay. As for our min, all this okay, it has extensive support of your cup for ips as well.
00:37:15
You are just trying to have adjust and just need to listen the topics,
00:37:22
any other questions
00:37:26
it’s.
Unknown Speaker
00:37:30
Let’s go to the next floor.
00:37:38
I don’t know, but personally at the heart
00:37:41
i’m not very sure whether the ask it has these methods. Okay, where you can listen it.
Unknown Speaker
00:37:46
He’s.
00:37:46
But this is more of an Nbc. Application. Right? Okay. It’s all of your server model and love you. Okay, it is
00:37:53
exactly That’s right
Unknown Speaker
00:38:00
to find that food.
00:38:01
Sorry. Sorry.
00:38:04
That is your predecessor, which is
Unknown Speaker
00:38:18
the latest and the same name of the
00:38:20
No. Today’s just both of the running. And my local host.
00:38:40
Okay,
00:38:45
where do you? Where do you want to put the sleep in the time side? So when you plot asleep, okay, it will wait for that moment of time. After that it will start.
00:38:57
That means, I
00:39:01
see. Okay. So generally what will happen if I let us assume that. Okay, I have in here.
00:39:30
Okay, Now, on the next event. Okay, I have prepare thousands of minutes, or maybe let’s put about ten thousand
00:39:40
two seconds or more than that, Mary.
00:39:45
One minute, right? This
Unknown Speaker
00:39:47
the different
00:39:51
here. What?
00:40:01
Yeah,
Unknown Speaker
00:40:03
They They not any of them.
00:40:07
No, it will be blocked. Actually,
00:40:09
this client will be blocked.
00:40:11
Okay for that that to be on zoom. So and simple.
00:40:15
Okay, this time
Unknown Speaker
00:40:17
it isn’t in the seventh.
00:40:21
One minute.
00:40:26
Okay, you want me to let me. Okay, just to be past it, too. Okay,
Unknown Speaker
00:40:37
it’s twenty thousand of
00:40:48
no. Now, see? Okay, Now see It’s got block.
00:40:51
So
00:41:03
production is still quite a new. Pretty soon. If I just run my client here, the outside of it will consume the data, because that thread about block, but the other thread you can still conjure the data. That’s the
Unknown Speaker
00:41:15
That’s the
00:41:21
This is where you you specify. Right? Okay, this is where this is the in the on next method you specify how many requests or the subscription has all set of Api’s available
00:41:31
Here you are requesting only two reports. Okay, you can request more number of records or number of sizes or
00:41:45
the buttons were
00:41:46
Yeah, that that’s an even drive to the event which has been produced by the producer. Right? Okay, that’s when Julmar has to know how the new event it’s been produced. Right?
00:42:03
No, it will stop if you stop, stop the thread of the two bridges. They data for that particular. But if you start on a single, another thread of business can consume the data, who’s ever
00:42:16
exactly a bit? Stop what is in it? Now, if you if you see it. Okay, Because if I start my
00:42:27
consuming it right, because anyway, you are listening for this local, I mean this low colors isn’t it?
00:42:32
Okay. So you just waited for that twenty seconds. Okay, Once it has been finished, a producer. Okay, It’s start consuming the data. The Saudi.
00:42:43
Okay?
Unknown Speaker
00:43:01
No, I
00:43:04
no, this is this is this is the this is the generator, right? This is not the client.
00:43:25
Yeah, this is
Unknown Speaker
00:43:35
he works.
00:43:48
No, it it it may not be a sequential information. If in this case here I have just created a single thread. Okay, which is basically,
00:43:57
there can be a number of threads. Basically right?
00:44:15
Okay, how many number of that has been executed? So here it you see. Okay,
00:44:41
Okay. So each thread is producing some set of data. But this would be a Benjamin who is knowing that, or to visit the data that I have, I need to consume it Right? Okay, to my knowledge. Okay, we still can debug it. Okay, using your
Unknown Speaker
00:45:24
Do you have
Unknown Speaker
00:45:25
It’s It’s
Unknown Speaker
00:45:34
the over.
00:45:46
No, it is not storing anything. It is just listening. It’s a plane I just written this time. It’s not so. It’s just reading it.
00:46:00
I would
00:46:04
sorry. Sorry. Come again,
Unknown Speaker
00:46:08
but i’m not.
00:46:16
Yeah. So till that time, whatever it is being produced right out of the consumer will start consuming it,
00:46:37
listening to.
00:46:43
So the flux flux. So if you, if you look about it, Okay, So in,
Unknown Speaker
00:46:50
please.
00:46:56
Yeah, it is. So right now. Okay, I’m starting with here as part of what do you call this a normal stream area where I’m: soing visible.
00:47:06
So now you need to decide whether you need to talk to some of the Dvs: Okay, where you can store this data and get rid of it
Unknown Speaker
00:47:12
from the
00:47:14
Yes, I think data correct,
Unknown Speaker
00:47:17
but
Unknown Speaker
00:47:26
in your
Unknown Speaker
00:47:44
not the same
Unknown Speaker
00:47:48
on it.
Unknown Speaker
00:47:49
It may not want you to receive it with a data
Unknown Speaker
00:47:54
I
00:47:58
the yeah
Unknown Speaker
00:48:02
of this day.
00:48:11
Yeah. Today i’ll end up.
00:48:28
I don’t think I am able to do that. But I will say, you those are available. Okay, I’m processing with that, and i’m over
Unknown Speaker
00:48:38
It’s a
00:48:42
you up.
00:48:45
Is it generally open in that to be that or or in any of the Facebook applications. Okay, it is user it today. Also, Facebook users the spring active application.
00:49:21
So if you don’t want your service to be notified whenever there is an event of us, we can still go for a plane. We see application,
00:49:28
and then, whenever you want your service to be notified, whenever there is a change in the event, and you can still use people.
00:49:41
Okay, Thank you guys, Everybody Thanks for joining me. Okay, that’s nice.
Unknown Speaker
00:49:48
That’s a lot of.
00:50:10
So if anybody has any arrangement they can announce they are not doing like, stretch it as anything on me. So if anybody has any job requirements or job opening, we can allow some.
00:50:29
He takes her,
Unknown Speaker
00:50:31
hey? Guys, first of all. Uh
00:50:33
okay, quick introduction about myself. I’m minus. I’ve been in J. Frog for about fifteen sixteen months now, and it’s been a great journey to be very honest. Ah, fun! Fact me,
00:50:46
gamma
00:50:48
by plug, we all together on the same day, and That’s a coincidence, I guess. Uh,
00:50:53
I lead the talent acquisition for J. Frog. Obviously, we are not using this platform for a job hunt. That’s not intention. The intention is to obviously talk about technology and how best you can use it. And thanks Kenneth for giving an amazing demo and session.
00:51:12
Just wanted to highlight the fact that we are definitely hiring and we are up for it. We have many open roles open, and you can
00:51:21
you grow up for your website. Uh: look into England. We have opportunities for both R. And D. And R. And D. Tech. Not necessarily for you guys, but you have friends, You know people in the family who are looking out. Ah, do you know, Richard, to us and
00:51:37
i’m here post a session as well? We can interact and talk about more and not take more time. I also would like to take this opportunity to time call a few
00:51:47
for taking your time post your office hours, and I know how crazy the Bangladesh topic can get in the evenings. So put us to your guys, and also it’s a different experience for all of us. I’m sure to see people outside the box.
00:52:20
I want to to offer the next session, and yes, we are here to connect. I think we have as a quick announcement,
00:52:30
and I think it’s an interesting one which I would like to discuss seeing this reception right? So just in case, if you Haven’t standard. This is quite a often
00:52:39
we are giving her part. So if you haven’t, please do it. We will close the apple after that, and then we will announce them enough. So anyone yeah organizers,
00:52:51
anyone bending.
Unknown Speaker
00:52:54
Hey, guys, everybody,
Unknown Speaker
00:52:57
You understand that there might, you know, a request for success to or not
Unknown Speaker
00:53:01
three, and that will be
00:53:16
all right basically. On your
00:53:17
Thank you.
00:53:20
Nice! Give me a minute.
Unknown Speaker
00:53:43
It was augmented
Unknown Speaker
00:53:48
from one of the velocities
00:53:55
uh keynote.
Unknown Speaker
00:53:58
Can I come,
Unknown Speaker
00:54:06
and by doing the demo I just take the seat. Uh
00:54:10
ah, very good evening, everyone. And like, he said, thanks a lot for coming here after your work. I’m. Very nervous.
00:54:23
My topic is uh modernize, and transform your Java applications to cloud. Uh why we are talking about Cloud is, uh it’s one of the fastest and biggest growing environment now with almost a six trillion cap. So I just want to have an understanding here. How many of you are from uh Jamabado.
00:54:46
Oh, good enough,
00:54:49
And you’ve started. I’m the she’s the Ma i’m from Java, from Group’s Jck team in
00:54:59
because I was Ibm Dallas classes library developer,
00:55:03
and while i’m not working, this is what keeps me busy
00:55:08
today. The agenda is just. Ah, i’ll just get dumped into it. Ah, so what exactly cloud native is what it means in the Java field. And when you should not be doing this containerization, or moving forward, or why would you even
00:55:25
to modernize. And if you have decided that you want to modernize your application, what features the Java ecosystem has. This will be the topics that i’ll touch upon. It’s a huge topic, but I’ve tried my best to give it in smaller bits. So what exactly is
00:55:44
various cloud platform tools and support providers have their own definitions,
00:55:50
I would say,
00:55:51
Oh, no, no! Before me coming, but most of them do agree that cloud native is made up of this micro services. It is container aware. It follows the devops methodologies, and it
00:56:04
for the modern life to solve the modern problems.
00:56:08
But I would say that cloud native is, is
00:56:11
anything that you do on Cloud. By that I mean earlier, you used to develop a test, deploy all your application in in a traditional service. Now in the cloud set,
00:56:25
he just
00:56:26
making away with the traditional service, and you are going to cloud. But but
00:56:31
it doesn’t mean that
00:56:34
because you’ve gone to cloud. You cannot directly mean your complete application from the traditional service into cloud, because cloud native is gonna impact your design, the implementation and the deployment of your application to get the better benefit. Basically, this is the universally accepted definition. It says, build and run scalable applications,
00:56:59
modern and dynamic environment. Your modern is this public private and hybrid cloud, and uh those.
00:57:07
So now, what is Cloud? Native Java
00:57:11
in its tourist from cloud? Native Jara is nothing but you writing a piece of Java software which will work well on the Cloud native ecosystem.
00:57:23
They say that for your application to be a cloud native Java application, one of these following features needs to be there. Ah! It could be that this is just made of your applications made up of micro services, application containers, or it has. Well, the defined Api is for communication. It has support for different uh
00:57:45
user interfaces,
00:57:47
practices, devops, and Ci cd pipeline. The
00:57:51
dynamically scale horizontally and vertically, This is what they say. But again,
00:57:59
uh, we, now that let’s take that you guys have. Uh, you guys know everything about micro services, and you are tired of it, or you don’t even want to think about moving your application into micro services, then, that we are saying Cloud Native is made up of microservice. So where do you attend the picture?
00:58:18
You do? You still have a say? Because Cloud native is not micro services, only even your complete monolith application that you have, you could still
00:58:30
follow this lift and shift philosophy where you take your complete application to simply containerize it and move on to cloud.
00:58:39
So this way. We have seen. Many companies have seen cost benefits here. The application which is working on your on-prem Java application. They simply take it they use the same memory that it has been using. They use the same Cpu members that it was using, and with the same Java parameters they have moved to clients and people have seen improvements.
00:59:03
So this philosophy is like migrate, fast, and modernized mix. Once you have migrated your application, you could start with your modernization journey with just modernizing your operations. That is incorporating the Ci Cd.
00:59:16
Or the what’s, methodologies that will give you a benefit in your development. How you give your application to your user consumer and so on. And then you could start by modernizing your runtime, the underneath layer. If you move your runtime from open Jdk to
00:59:36
Porcas or in liberty,
00:59:38
you will start, seeing that it is slowly becoming cloud, enabled your application. You will save past definitely and finally modernizing. The architecture is taking a big monolith apart into small micro services and going completely cloud Native,
Unknown Speaker
00:59:56
the are you?
00:59:58
I will be coming to it just in a moment.
01:00:02
Yeah. So you’re saying
01:00:06
you have you as a Java application developer or Java application owner. You decide that. Yes, I want to modernize, so I will move. I will containerize myself even before I go with my services. So then, when should you be containerizing,
01:00:23
instead of telling when I will tell you when to avoid containerization
01:00:29
mainly, you shouldn’t even think about this containerization. If your application is a desktop application which is rich in the Ui docker, or containers are made for bad applications
01:00:42
where you get to see maximum benefit back, but not for the desktop application. And then, if your application is very simple, and if it is small, then also don’t go to contain the rice, because
01:00:55
to get the benefits in the docker side
01:00:58
it’s not just that you put your take your application and put it into the containers. You need to do some more work, and unless your application is big, huge, and has a lot of dependencies. You are not going to see any benefit moving on to Docker because you could anyways manage it, simple thing.
01:01:16
And then, if you are planning off. Ah, if you have promised your customers that you are gonna ah give a application speed up that time. Also, you don’t have to go on to do it, because containerization will definitely speed up your development time, but not the time of your application as such.
01:01:35
The knowing one. If there is no need for you to scale,
01:01:40
unless your Amazon e-commerce application provider where you keep having great Indian day sales or you are some I don’t know some mother.
01:01:59
If your application has some special hardware requirements, like mainframe and all. Again, you don’t have to go to.
Adarsh Gowda
01:02:15
If you go up, make sure you learn it, and then go.
01:02:20
Ah, we have seen. Yes, your application is not any of these you do feel I will get benefit of moving the cloud. So what? Exactly? Why exactly are you moving to cloud? Everything is working for you. Why would you already move that
01:02:37
mainly? Ah, these are the Java. Actually, these are the goals of knowing the Java applications into cloud. One is, you need a past started when you want more resource, usage, minimum vulnerabilities. You should you need to minimize your vulnerabilities, and then the contact packaging.
01:02:57
Why? Because in cloud you pay money, for how long you use the cloud and how much memory you use. So they should mainly be your goals, if at all you do plant it more.
01:03:12
So yeah, you’re set your goals, and you do want to move. Then How do you do
01:03:20
that? Tara provides you initially? When all this cloud started up there, a lot of human cry that is not fit for Cloud
01:03:36
has been evolving. I know it is a very mature language, but it wants it’s it’s
01:03:42
application uh developers. It’s a consumers to feel happy and be able to get the benefits of the cloud. So this is actually cloud natives. I mean Javascript native journey, where it is when trying to given teachers that will help you in the cloud side a belt of this very uh nice
01:04:04
I mean a nice features where all Java Sdk: exactly good for you for cloud. So it started off in Jdk. Nine, where Java introduced compact strings. It mainly to save the Jvm. Heat space for memory optimization, if you remember.
01:04:29
And then, since dedicate ten. Java has been docker aware what it is I will tell and dedicate, and has been so long. And even now, even till two days ago, when Jdk. Nineteen, was released. We are still trying to make changes or add in features that will aid you in your crouch
01:04:49
by and um
01:04:51
Ah! On top of that we came up with Ah, two low latency garbage collectors, which ah, basically with written the unused memory where we were teaching the garbage collectors that you ah can return the unused memory back to the buffer memory back to the Os.
01:05:10
Ah, then, yeah,
01:05:14
in in in dedicate. Well, the Shannon D’s Gc. Was implemented by did as an experimental featured by Jdk fifteen. It became the full-fledged normal feature
01:05:26
and in the elastic Meta space. The elasticity was also again. It has to do with returning the unused memory back to the Os, mainly to reduce all the memory consumptions of your Java application. Finally, you will see the Alpine, Linux which is the
01:05:46
which or apple started. Now, where you you must be aware of Alpine, Linux the small size, Linux So on cloud we want small, we want compact. We want everything smaller. So for your applications, Java Oracle or the Java Provider started giving you the
01:06:04
Jdk Pro for Alpine, Linux which is basically built upon the muscle, C libraries.
01:06:10
But this
01:06:14
so I said, I started out, Docker, aware. So before Java became proper aware what was happening was the connection between Jvm. And the Cpu is Cpu. Step like this whenever your application was running. If it was running on the watchword machine, it will take the your memory.
01:06:33
Much memory is available, and the cpu pound from the guest Os.
01:06:38
If it was, if you had taken your complete application, you have containerized it, and you are running it on your host to
01:06:45
Java before being container aware. It used to take the memory and the Cpu, or how many course are there directly from the first. To what this used to do was, Ah Trivium actually needs this memory and the core information, because it then sets the default for your Gvm. Compiler threads the garbage collection threads,
01:07:08
but it needed this information. So if the Jvm. Is running on a thirty two per node then, and if you’re not,
01:07:16
we will return the default. Then what will happen is Gvm. Will spawn thirty, two garbage collector threads, thirty two jigs, collector Ah, compiler threads! And in this way, if you go and spawn ten containers,
01:07:28
you’re not going to get any benefit of containerization. You’re It’s just going to be a bottleneck. So this is where it started becoming very important. But
01:07:38
Java knew how
01:07:40
honour the container’s Limit The docker file in the docker file. Whatever limit you give may be the Cpu or the memory limit. It’s new how to honor it. That is where this becomes very big. The option that use container support came in.
01:07:55
Ah, you can enable and disab it as of Java Ten. It is by default enable they sav it because most of the guys Okay, how many of you are still using Java Eight.
01:08:08
So the numbers are not so. They did think that even people who are using
01:08:15
Jedk Eight. We still want to give you the feature. So the back to this into Jdk: eighty, one hundred and ninety one
01:08:25
that update. So yeah, next for the Cpu counter,
01:08:41
and then it was able to
01:08:42
make your Java, which is running in container, aware that you have to be within your limits.
01:08:50
Then there is the option. Ah! For debugging. And so Jeddk eleven and Jdk. Seventeen are the two lps the long-term support releases. So between among them, I mean in between them the Major were
01:09:05
this C group to support and the container awareness in the operating systems, Mx. Bean: So so cigarettes is a competit
01:09:16
uh, again, a very interesting topic to phone. Look at on it. This shows how all the Linux kernel, the kubernetes, or anyone, are going to take the underlying cpus into consideration. They have something called, as the Cpu’s share Cpu Set. Maybe if I just speak in abstract terms, you guys will not understand.
01:09:37
This is needed on the minute side
01:09:39
meant him there.
01:09:41
I’m going to
01:09:44
ah going on. They also introduced two new options. This
01:09:51
Max Graham person gauge an initial ram percentage. This is mainly for dynamic heat size in your containers. If you won’t, set your xmx and X. Ms. Value that will happen is you’ll just go say at Twogb. And then, even though you’re in going to increase your container memory from two Gb. To three. Db. To four. Gb: If it is xmx, it will just remain the same. However, in the percentage where you are going to do is you would say, i’m going to give eighty percent
01:10:28
he size value.
01:10:30
So yeah, like, I said, two days ago Jdk: nineteen was released. And yeah, you are
01:10:41
said there were C group support between Dedicate eleven and seventeen, but
01:10:46
ah! We found that it was wrong interpretation. They were taking the Cpu share from the core. Linux they were considering it, for while they were restricting the number of cpus your Jeremiah could use. This was actually tossing them,
01:11:09
and it’s provided
01:11:12
I spoke repel features. Java had to help you in cloud. Now i’ll speak about the frameworks in the Java environment that
01:11:40
basically
01:11:56
you do a Java main class, and then in ground has an ahead of time compiler. I’ll just be
Unknown Speaker
01:12:10
so.
01:12:12
A small tamu here
01:12:15
of native image.
01:12:20
Um! I downloaded my
01:12:24
growled from
Unknown Speaker
01:12:26
not you, not you
01:12:48
the demo part. That is why you have all my commands in. So you see I have My!
01:12:59
I go into a small
Unknown Speaker
01:13:08
Oh,
01:13:12
oh, oh,
01:13:25
Grohl is helping you. I mean the fastest of growl.
01:13:29
So I have my sample. Um, Hello, World program written here like I said, because i’m nervous. I’m just gonna
Unknown Speaker
01:13:38
copy everything. If you
01:13:46
you just can run um.
01:13:50
I’m gonna i’m gonna build this into an app, so I will need
Unknown Speaker
01:13:57
and manager stuff,
01:14:00
Queen. I’m going to build this into the
01:14:03
up top
01:14:06
mainly to get an executable to show the comparison between running it on open Jdk and running the application, their existing application on the ground
Unknown Speaker
01:14:15
it’s.
01:14:25
Yes, it is production ready. But um. I don’t know if they have any products yet. I’ll I’ll get back to you. I’ll check and get back to you
01:14:37
right
Unknown Speaker
01:14:49
for this.
01:14:56
So this was just my normal Java application. Hello, World application, which I have the executable here, and i’m gonna set. I already have. My,
01:15:09
but i’m here. I’m going to set the path.
Unknown Speaker
01:15:16
It’s like it. Me
01:15:29
the algebraic.
Unknown Speaker
01:15:32
I will do it.
01:15:46
Brawl has something called, as it has it to be called native image, and this native image will help
01:15:54
you convert your Java byte port into the native binaries. That is where the fastness comes in
01:16:07
the runtime. Execution time is faster. Not the initial time I’ll be showing all of that now.
01:16:21
Right?
01:16:22
Yes, on the os. It is uh mainly machine-dependent here.
01:16:30
What did I do here?
01:16:35
This is why I do like by moss
Unknown Speaker
01:16:42
an image
01:17:02
the advantages what happens in just in time. Compiler is. But this is not big enough for you. Base
Unknown Speaker
01:17:16
need this to know.
01:17:21
So um! During the runtime you need to load your ah d from the disk you need to verify the class definition. You need to exude the interpreter, gather all the profiling feedback, and then
01:17:34
run it on your machine code, whereas in ahead of time compiler, you just load the exutable from the disk, and you directly go ahead and run. I think we have. Our Our executable is still building this.
01:17:49
If you’re nervous, this will be one of the disadvantages that I will be talking about growl in a minute.
Unknown Speaker
01:17:56
It’s taking some time
01:18:01
in one merit. It is here
01:18:05
so mainly what I wanted to show was when I run uh
01:18:11
the regulara
01:18:13
on regular open Gdk:
01:18:15
you are executable.
01:18:18
The time taken is
01:18:33
you’ll see it is
Unknown Speaker
01:18:37
more than a he was a bitch.
01:18:40
I mean, it’s it’s faster.
01:18:44
Basically,
01:18:45
we are tenants, master. So
01:18:55
this
01:18:57
main binary I simply run it as an executable
Unknown Speaker
01:19:06
bye.
Unknown Speaker
01:19:10
Sorry, Please repeat the question,
01:19:17
Right? Yeah.
01:19:33
This the
01:19:35
in the in the sense of the application side it does becomes big, but it’s not. It’s a spread of You’re still Okay, if you get a faster startup time.
01:19:46
Yeah. But that’s a very good point to note and study about on a bigger applications. I definitely make note of that.
01:19:56
You saw that the time is faster and coming here.
01:20:03
That was one of the advantage it’s. It’s
01:20:07
it faster, because
01:20:09
it’s faster, because it just takes the executable and runs it. And this also in the You’re also saving that in memory, because during time your dynamic code cache, your Meta space cross files all will take time for us on the runtime
01:20:27
in the cloud. It basically matters your runtime memory. So there your growl doesn’t. Take that much time.
01:20:36
So that I spoke about advantageous. But now, coming to disadvantages, you will see that because growl has to do all its ahead of time, compilation, and the homework. It doesn’t support dynamic class loading one. It’s because it’s the security reason and another because it’s a big pain suddenly getting a
01:20:55
dynamic class which it cannot even make sense of. And before for for all to make sense of your application, or to the exutable, it needs to have your application needs to have a reachable. Ah! Like our data. If it doesn’t again, it will not be able to give you the exutable when the slow build time. You saw. When I was actually building the execution. It took one minute. It’s like a big thing, and even for it the first initial initialization time for the
01:21:24
build time is high on definitely the
01:21:27
uh, and it doesn’t allow some uh profiling to gather during the build time. And when I said no dynamic class loading to the developers. It will mean you will not be able to use reflection back, if at all you prefer it. It is not that it’s completely remote reflections. It’s just that
01:21:44
it has limited, and if you, your application uses reflection, you will have to do a manual mapping in growth, so it requires a manual intervention. This is where, like
01:21:57
Satish just said, It has not become that that
01:22:03
taken, but
01:22:04
and are slowly taking it, and they are are spending more time to investing more time to see where they can take it, because once they have got this initial thing set up, it’s going to be very fast for them in the proud world.
01:22:19
The next framework that I will be talking today is about Porcas.
01:22:28
Okay, compiler. And the quote time you will be doing and the execution basically will be giving the reachability metadata, so that when you run it and you, before you get your executable file you need to do all this,
Unknown Speaker
01:22:42
so
01:22:43
you, there’ll be some additional things that you will be doing.
Unknown Speaker
01:22:47
That is where it was not.
Unknown Speaker
01:22:50
Yes,
Unknown Speaker
01:23:02
it’s
01:23:03
yes, the native image will fail. I mean, you will not even get the native image, and it will not be done properly. Also
01:23:36
project also, which is going on there trying to fit in everything. But then it is. It was not made for the modern world, whereas progress is made up. When it was built itself it was made in such a way that it
01:23:48
it basically works on the panda that uh, it wants to do with the dynamics of the regular Java, c. Where it says that in cloud. Once you make your application, there is no way that it can change during the runtime. Your application, whatever you’re built will keep running the same thing again and again. If it’s Amazon track, your uh product will have one specific feature. Your search will have just one
01:24:18
specific functionality. You’re not going to change. So Corpus says that it’s going to give a custom runtime, but it do with all the dynamic things and the huge things that Java open. Jdk comes with. So that is where it becomes set atomic. It’s ten. It’s smaller than your open Jdk:
01:24:35
It is supersonic. They say it runs very fast, and it’s it has support. Actually, Orcas gives out both. Jvm: I mean, sorry executable to be run on Jvm. And executable to be run on Brahm. Also.
01:24:55
So in this way. The speed is also fast at the runtime speed, I mean,
01:25:01
and it has a lot of new features that developers nowadays are looking for it is both imperative and reactive program. A small example for imperative and reactive would be that if A is equal to ten and your B is a plus one,
01:25:18
and when you make A is equal to eleven in imperative program we will still continue to be eleven, whereas in reactive program the B would have already become. Well, that’s what Diana was trying to explain. As your producer is giving, the consumer will keep consuming
01:25:44
reactive in your application. I am your
01:25:48
while you got basically It is made up of best of Java libraries. It has a lot of microprofile, and it’s made up of you. I mean, it has kubernetes. Also, it’s
01:26:03
a bunch of libraries together making your Java application developers life easy.
Unknown Speaker
01:26:12
Oh,
Unknown Speaker
01:26:15
a small demo on,
01:26:18
I hope. Ah, okay. I’m running the late five minutes. I’ve eaten up five minutes of your time. Just very quickly Do this. So if you want to get started with what? This? It’s very simple, and a few where a spring would. I mean, if you are already using springboard. This should be a
01:26:35
interface that you guys will be very much aware of. I’m just gonna do a small Hello World program again. A rest Api where it’s going to expose the Hello endpoint.
01:26:46
I will do my calm dot
Unknown Speaker
01:26:49
with them more.
Unknown Speaker
01:26:52
You are, Emma.
01:26:54
I would say a sample that i’m creating with what you want to build that also there and then for us like, I said. It allows the application developer to
01:27:05
it. Gives all the libraries so you can pick and choose what all extensions you want to be able to use in your Java application. You can come and pick and choose. Here
01:27:14
you do her.
01:27:18
I have just taken this Hello, Walter
01:27:21
program to show again the speed at which it will run.
01:27:27
How fast
01:27:28
purpose runs your Java application. That is what I wanted to show
01:27:41
just to open it up. Basically it would have just created a a maven structure
01:27:55
exposed It’s just a greeting resource which is going to expose. And hello, endpoint. You view it there, and you will see that as soon as you start your application you’ll be able to bond the
Unknown Speaker
01:28:11
you will be able to
Unknown Speaker
01:28:13
see.
Unknown Speaker
01:28:15
Fetch your resource.
01:28:31
Your pomp file is there for any of the configurations that you want to add or say, I mean, if you are in spring boot and web application, development space, you will already know all of these things.
01:28:44
I will start my
01:28:55
like, I said. Is this possible?
01:28:59
The at this
01:29:01
endpoint? All i’m doing is I’m returning in
Unknown Speaker
01:29:06
it’s
Unknown Speaker
01:29:11
to play
Unknown Speaker
01:29:17
my application just
01:29:20
started.
01:29:28
So at the
Unknown Speaker
01:29:30
hello and point I should be able to
01:29:33
see my Hello, Bjak! And like I was saying, Porcas, because it’s a modern language. It has a lot of features, developer toys that it speaks about
01:29:46
where I simply do my
01:29:49
changes, and immediately i’ll be able to see it.
01:29:53
This is the hot reloading.
01:29:56
Ah, and purpose also supports your ah dependency. It has in built dependency injection. Ah! Which basically it’ll help you loosely couple your application, it’ll better not for not having too much of dependency. Actually, Corpus has a lot of features.
Unknown Speaker
01:30:16
I’m not talking yet, but
01:30:19
so
01:30:20
maybe i’ll not. Uh, I’ll just continue with this and close it once you
01:30:25
are done with your application
01:30:35
running on Bm: All you’ll do is
Unknown Speaker
01:30:41
package.
01:30:48
I’m just going to package, and i’ll just quickly show the time between both of it.
01:30:54
Basically, I mean, I don’t have to.
01:31:00
Yeah, this will all fail now,
Unknown Speaker
01:31:17
which
Unknown Speaker
01:31:18
the competition
Unknown Speaker
01:31:21
is this big enough? I don’t know. Should I?
Unknown Speaker
01:31:26
No, I’ll do I?
Unknown Speaker
01:31:33
I’m trying to
Unknown Speaker
01:31:37
engineer for this
Unknown Speaker
01:31:44
this.
Unknown Speaker
01:31:53
Oh, okay, thank you.
01:32:00
No. This is what this is building this for you.
Unknown Speaker
01:32:09
It right
01:32:22
moment. So their purpose does have a lot of libraries like I did say so. Anything that is there in spring you’ll be able to be able to find most of them on forecast.
01:32:39
Yeah,
01:32:42
Yeah, that I O, that is the exact copy of spring. Yes, I know how
01:32:49
right down to Cotland and spring to for this you can
01:33:09
familiarity right?
01:33:12
They don’t want the developers to suddenly. I mean For twenty years I was coding in spring, and you want me to come to Cooper’s, who will have income
01:33:18
unless it feels same. And they say you get you definitely get an advantage on it. So
01:33:26
yeah, this failed because
01:33:33
it was expecting this. When we download. When we made the package it was expecting that. What did I give now?
01:33:44
Integration App:
01:33:46
What could happen? I was just
Unknown Speaker
01:33:50
for the
01:33:52
I forgot. Uh, while after I did I realized
Unknown Speaker
01:33:56
I should have done that.
01:33:59
Okay, it’s getting delayed
01:34:03
because I have a run shot. Basically, when I run both of these things, you’ll be able to see the same amount of time that you were seeing when I ran with the regular jdk and the garlic.
01:34:15
Ah! With that
01:34:29
they do sell purpose with this path, and many of the applications who have done this uh strip. They have seen the advantage on both the memory and the time time to first response.
01:34:42
But again, purpose also has its disadvantages because it’s new. It doesn’t have a complete support for e standards, and you saw that it does like. It has a highly optimized build process, meaning it takes long initialization time.
01:34:59
Again it restricts the dynamic information. With that I conclude my talk, So I would say that modernization is a journey, and it’s hard to stay just because something is fashion. Do not follow it.
01:35:14
You do your due diligence you check If your Java application thus fits in the container world.
01:35:21
And if it does, then what are the implications, what runtime you want? What? How much Cpu is needed, and all those things. And finally, if you’re going to achieve the benefits that you just went out with, that is what start by knowing it all. I’m open for questions.
01:35:37
I know it’s seven forty-five if anyone has any questions.
01:35:46
Thank you.
01:35:48
I don’t like a very good job, or it’s too late, or I did a very bad job, because I didn’t
01:35:53
a single question. I think there’s enough time for our Q. And A. And so to get enough time to connect with them and ask questions.
01:36:08
Thank you once again, for you know, coming in here and attending this in time. Meet up
Unknown Speaker
01:36:14
um.
01:36:16
You see a nice red box here right? So this is something which we are giving, and then there are some other goodies which you’ll get it when you when you leave actually uh from from our office.
01:36:28
Let me let me probably ask you a few questions before I give you.
01:36:44
Do you? Do you remember any Jfk: employees name
Unknown Speaker
01:36:47
us?
01:36:48
Yeah.
01:36:49
I don’t know.
01:36:51
Okay, that’s enough.
01:36:53
Casana.
Unknown Speaker
01:36:54
What
01:36:55
you got my name wrong there? She i’m sorry I heard i’m hurt.
01:36:59
Thank you. I’m really hot.
Unknown Speaker
01:37:07
Ah, do you know when
01:37:09
When did we uh start?
01:37:15
Sorry. Six, ten.
Unknown Speaker
01:37:27
You’re just asking out of curiosity if you have to any.
01:37:30
When did you? If you run any research,
01:37:32
it sounds like an index.
01:37:34
No? Ah, okay, Let’s
01:37:42
Thank you.
01:37:44
Yeah. So some some estimation when which year we we started.
01:37:49
Okay, bye, bye,
01:37:53
Globally Company Jfk:
01:37:56
I mean? The restaurant rider was uncertain.
01:37:58
Hey? You can guess
01:38:04
two thousand and sixteen.
01:38:10
Okay, Um,
01:38:12
What is J:
01:38:20
Amazing. Okay, Thank you. It was just to make sure that you are. Honor me, and you do not see no induction, you know, meeting, etc. So
01:38:29
just to make sure that you’re awake, and we have some uh snacks also also, just to you know. Make sure that you You are not hungry because you have to in travel back to your your place, and we understand how much traffic you have to cross through. Um: Okay. So now,
01:38:46
if you fill this registration form because there was one name which we could not find
01:38:59
Jay Kumar.
01:39:01
What’s that?
01:39:03
But your name is not yourself?
01:39:10
No, I I could not find it so.
Unknown Speaker
01:39:13
My! Uh, you didn’t you didn’t sign this.
01:39:20
How is the business Plan
01:39:27
out?
01:39:30
So you you can stay here
01:39:34
because you are the winner of this.
Unknown Speaker
01:39:41
Thanks for coming in.
01:39:46
Yes, thank you.
01:39:52
Yeah, that’s in fact, two days back. I’ve got a Webinar from day,
01:40:07
all right, So do we have anything else
01:40:16
she’s going to speak us.
01:40:17
I am not getting it.
01:40:20
Yeah,
01:40:40
Thank you. Yeah, I got this.
01:40:48
But I think there are some Jacob stuff also for them, Right?
01:40:50
Yes, we have,
01:40:52
all right. So I think that’s a it from today’s point of view. But the address there are Snatch, and do you collect your goodies, the J. Five buddies before you leave? That’s at the reception.
01:41:05
And yeah, now, let’s get to snacks and networking. All of us are here. So if you have any questions, feel free. Okay,
01:41:14
all right. That’s good. Let’s get started. Thank you. Thank you so much.