GoSF May 2022 – What’s All the Buzz About the Fuzz & Hugo Shortcodes for the Win

JFrog is a proud Community Sponsor for the GoSF Meetup

May 18, 2022

3 min read

JFrog is a proud 2022 Sponsor for the
GoSF User Group Meetup!

We are excited to be joined by Leila Elkhalidy & Rayhaneh Banyassady, who will share with us all about Fuzz Testing!

➤➤ AGENDA ➤➤
6:30 – 6:40 – GoSF Announcements / Community Job Opportunities
6:40 – 7:10 – What’s All the Buzz About the Fuzz? – Leila Elkhalidy & Rayhaneh Banyassady
7:10 – 7:45 – Hugo Shortcodes for the Win – Chris Griffing
7:45 – 8:30 – Q&A, Jet Brains Raffle & Closing Remarks

➤➤ TALK 1 ➤➤
Fuzzing or fuzz testing is an automated testing technique that provides random inputs to computer programs to find edge cases, crashes and security vulnerabilities that other tests may miss. Historically, security engineers and hackers were the primary users of fuzz tests. However, there is excellent value in fuzz testing all programs, especially those working with arbitrary user input. This is why the Go team has decided to add fuzz testing to Go 1.18’s standard test command to make it more accessible to all programmers! :tada:
In this presentation, we’ll walk you through everything you need to know about fuzzing testing: what it is, why you might want to use it, the internal workings of the fuzz engine in Go and how to write a fuzz test. Hope to see you there!

Presenters’ Bio:
Leila Elkhalidy – Senior Software Developer @ KOHO
Leila is passionate about creating elegant solutions for complex problems. She started working with Go last year and has been very interested in the language’s design patterns and idiomatic nature. Previously she has worked with javascript/node.js, java and C#. Her Favourite movie is The Matrix. On the weekend you can find her bouldering, skiing, or jamming on the piano.

Rayhaneh Banyassady – Staff Software Developer @ KOHO
Rayhaneh is part of the enterprise team at KOHO, where she works on developing, maintaining, and improving KOHO’s partner API. She is interested in the role of automated testing in building resilient systems. Her background is in scientific computing in aerospace engineering. Her favorite author is Susan Cain. In her spare time, She loves to hike, camp in the backcountry, and travel.

➤➤ TALK 2 ➤➤
Hugo is a lightning-fast static site generator written in Go. To customize some of the functionality, shortcodes make things easy. I will be demonstrating how to make a custom shortcode. This shortcode is a Hugo version of Gatsby Image or Scully Image. It allows users to only download hi-res images that they are ready to see which massively improves performance and UX.

Presenter’s Bio:
Chris Griffing – Senior Web Developer @ https://www.twitch.tv/cmgriffing/about
I am a somewhat senior front-end engineer. In my spare time, I stream programming on Twitch. On stream, I work on all sorts of languages and frameworks. My main goal is just to make fun projects with my community. During the winter, I snowboard as many powder days as I can.

https://www.meetup.com/golangsf/events/285405016/