ISSUE: Artifactory fails to make secure connection to a remote URL (e.g. when Test button is clicked at Admin => Repositories => your repository => Test =>Artifactory UI displays "Connection failed with exception: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target" error )
REASON: The error is caused because JAVA that Artifactory runs on does not have root certificate of the remote URL trusted on its trusted root certificate store.
NOTE: For Artifactory High Availability, perform the following steps at all of the HA nodes,
1. Get remote site's root and intermediate certificates by running openssl s_client -showcerts -connect <REMOTE_URL>:<REMOTE_PORT>
For example, openssl s_client -showcerts -connect google.com:443
2. Save each certificate as a file
s:/C=US/ST=North Carolina/L=Raleigh/O=Red Hat, Inc./OU=Red Hat Network/CN=Entitlement Master CA/emailAddressemail@example.com
i:/C=US/ST=North Carolina/L=Raleigh/O=Red Hat, Inc./OU=Red Hat Network/CN=Entitlement Master CA/emailAddressfirstname.lastname@example.org
The example above indicates that the issuer (i:) is the same as the subject (s:), which indicates that it is the root certificate.
Save the hash of the certificate (include —–BEGIN CERTIFICATE—– and —–END CERTIFICATE—– ) and save it as root.crt .
3. Identify which JVM that Artifactory runs on
4. Import root and intermediate certificates to the trusted root certificate of the JAVA found above (usually called "cacerts") by using keytool import command. For more information, please visit https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19830-01/819-4712/ablqw/index.html
sudo keytool -importcert -keystore /usr/local/java/jdk1.8.0_60/jre/lib/security/cacerts -storepass changeit -file ~/Downloads/RHEL-cert/root.crt -alias "rhel-root"
5. Verify the change at Admin => Repositories => your remote repository => Test => If it still fails then you may need to restart Artifactory for the change to take effect