When you migrate/import an Artifactory instance, your access data, which contains Users, Groups, Permissions and Access Tokens, will be imported as well.
However, if the access data fails to import into the new Artifactory instance or if you only want to import the access data, you can follow the following steps to manually export and import the access data.
Artifactory 5.6 – 7.X
1. You need the access-admin credentials in Artifactory. This account uses a randomly generated password in fresh installations. If you are unable to obtain the access-admin account credentials, follow the guides on our wiki:
– Artifactory 7.x: Change default password for admin user
– Artifactory 6.x: Change default password for access-admin user
2. Create a backup of the access data
– Artifactory 7.x: Creates an access.backup.<TIMESAMP>.json file with the Access configuration as $JFROG_HOME/artifactory/var/backup/access
curl -uadmin:password -XPOST "http://localhost:8082/access/api/v1/system/backup/export"
– Artifactory 6.x: Creates an access.backup.<TIMESAMP>.json file with the Access configuration as $ARTIFACTORY_HOME/access/backup
curl -uaccess-admin:password -XPOST "http://localhost:8040/access/api/v1/system/backup/export"
3. Replace the service ID in the access data backup file
– Find the service ID of both old and new Artifactory instances.
– Up to version 5.5.1, the Artifactory service ID is formatted jf-artifactory@<id>. From version 5.5.2 the service ID is formatted jfrt@<id>.
– Sample output
curl -uadmin:password -XGET "http://localhost:8081/artifactory/api/system/service_id" 200jfrt@01e2rdwgsq8k8c1mbtvdav04xg
– Replace the old service ID with the new service ID everywhere in the access.backup.<TIMESAMP>.json file. Permissions in this file are tied to the service ID to allow for Access Federation, and if the swap does not occur, permissions will not be imported.
4. Rename the access data file to access.bootstrap.json and copy to the new Artifactory instance
– Artifactory 7.x: $JFROG_HOME/artifactory/var/etc/access
– Artifactory 6.x: $ARTIFACTORY_HOME/access/etc
5. Import the access data
– Artifactory 7.x: Import access configuration JSON file: $JFROG_HOME/artifactory/var/etc/access/access.bootstrap.json
curl -uadmin:password -XPOST "http://localhost:8082/access/api/v1/system/backup/import"
– Artifactory 6.x: Import access configuration JSON file: $ARTIFACTORY_HOME/access/etc/access.bootstrap.json
curl -uaccess-admin:password -XPOST "http://localhost:8040/access/api/v1/system/backup/import"
6. Restart Artifactory